EducationHonours Bachelors of Science
Double Major in Physics & Psychology
York University, Toronto ON
Interprofessional Mental Health and Addictions
Camsoun College, Victoria BC
High School Dean's Honour Roll
Henry Wise Wood, Calgary AB
ExperienceCurrent Tutoring: I will be taking on NEW students starting August 2016. My availability and rate table can be accessed here: http://tiny.cc/lix2by
My primary tutor location is at Surrey Central Library, right beside Surrey Central Sky-Train. https://goo.gl/maps/tJeYUnowYU72
I have been tutoring privately for over 9 years. Below is my summary of tutoring experience.
- Statistics for Social Sciences (University)
- Intro to Psychology (University)
- Pre-Calculus 12
- Pre-Calculus 11
- Math Foundations 11
- Statistics for Construction Management at BCIT
- Pre-Calculus 12
- Pre-Calculus 11
- Math Foundations 11
- Math 10
August 2015: Prep for University Level Statistics (from scatter-plots to two-sided hypothesis testing and more)
September 2011 - June 2012: Grade 12 Math (Advanced Functions, Calculus and Vectors) - This student successfully raised their math mark to over a 90% average and qualified for the Schulich School of Business
September 2011 - June 2012: Grade 11 Math (This was a previous student. They and their guardians valued our working relationship enough to ask me to teach a second year in a row.)
September 2010 - June 2010: Grade 10 Math
March 2011 - April 2011: Statistics for Nursing
September 2010 - December 2010: Sociology Statistics -
Helped a student who had previously dropped the course to finishing the final exam with a 72%.
May 2010 - June 1010: Grade 11 Math (Ontario)
- University Math from 1000 to 2000 Level including Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations
- University Physics from 1000 to 4000 Level including Electricity and Magnetism, Relativity, and Quantum Physics
- University Psychology from 1000 to 4000 Level including multiple Education Psychology Courses and Statistics
I have a great love for science, as evidenced by the pursuit of a degree in Physics and Psychology. I love teaching others about maths and science so that they can explore its influence on their everyday lives. I know that my enthusiasm, attention to detail, excellent communication skills, and previous teaching experience make me a valuable tutor.
My dedication and commitment to teaching are evidenced by the time I put into lesson preparation and individual student follow-up. I help students by teaching study skills, encouraging regular review and practice, supporting you in overcoming challenges, and making mock tests / quizzes to prepare for finals and overcome test anxiety.
I would be delighted to work with students one-on-one to help them to understand the curriculum that they are learning. I know that my passion for teaching and my educational experience will make me a valuable tutor.
Tutoring Approach: I am a firm but friendly tutor. The overall well-being and happiness of my students is important to me and I try to get to know each of them personally. I am kind, consistent, punctual and come prepared to all of my appointments. I am flexible to needs of the students, emergencies, and changes in routine.
With my tutoring a student will get out of it as much as they put into it. My tutoring is most effective when I'm not working through their homework, but rather, when they've brought attempted or completed homework done and we work through their problem spots together.
Through this process we troubleshoot conceptual understanding, minor math mistakes, and develop proper strategies for solving complex problems.
Alcohol and Drug Counsellor
Better Health Clinic, Surrey BC
Aug 2015 - Present
Develop and implement client-centered treatment plans for opiate addicts who are on methadone or suboxone recovery programs including a change plan and relapse prevention.
- Perform initial screening, intake and biopsychosocial assessment for potential clients.
- Use motivational interviewing and a strengths based approach to work with addicts in various stages of change
- Help clients to identify needs and set goals to address those needs
- Provide outreach and coordination with recovery houses to maintain continuity of care
Crisis Line Volunteer
Fraser Health Crisis Line
Jan 2016 - Present
Offer immediate support and crisis intervention through the Fraser Health Crisis Line (FHCL), 1-800-Suicide and 310-Mental Health
- Help others to manage a variety of crisis situations including grief, mental illness, addiction, and relationship issues
- Trained in suicide, homicide and child abuse risk assessments
- Provide appropriate resources and referrals using province wide databases such as bc211
Self-Employed, Toronto ON
May 2010 - Present
Developed and implemented personalized educational programs for young adults in junior high and high school, focusing on meeting their specific needs and addressing their challenges.
- Recognized by students and parents for playing a critical role in helping students to improve their academic skills, and achieve personal educational objectives.
- Utilized innate enthusiasm, energy and patience to motivate the youth to work diligently through challenging problems and developing understanding of complex concepts.
Social Concern Office at The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul, Victoria BC
Apr 2015 - July 2015
Spent 260 hours working in a community program to support low-income families and individuals who struggle with homelessness, mental illness, substance abuse and other barriers.
- Co-facilitated a boundaries workshop with vulnerable clientele.
- Developed two workshops (life skills and financial literacy) to meet client needs by teaching valuable skills.
- Participated in a weekly women’s support group to provide a sense of belonging and community.
- Demonstrated critical-thinking skills by identifying needs and suggesting possible solutions.
Production Team Lead
COBS Bread, Victoria BC
Apr 2014 - July 2015
Moved upward in the franchise from sales staff to production team lead, taking on administrative and leadership roles within a small team of bakers.
- Pro-actively demonstrated leadership and concern for customer satisfaction.
- Juggled multiple responsibilities, always completing tasks assigned by the owner.
- Enhanced team performance through team goal setting and individual training.
• Current Standard First Aid & CPR-C
• Class-5 Drivers License
• safeTALK Certification (Suicide Awareness)
• Positive Space Training (York University)
A sample of my tutoring contract:
1. Tutoring fees are [$35-45/hr], payable by cash, check or e-transfer. Fees are due prior to or the day of our tutoring session.
2. Notice of appointment cancellation by the student (NAME) must be at least 12 hours prior to appointment time. Failure to notify of a cancelled appointment 12 hours prior to our meeting will result in being charged all applicable tutor fees for the scheduled appointment.
3. The tutor (Aryana) is responsible for giving 12 hours notice to the student (NAME) for any appointment cancellation. Failure to due so will result in the tutor (Aryana) offering one free session of tutoring equivalent to the value of the scheduled appointment.
4. This contract can be cancelled at any time by either the student (NAME) or the tutor (Aryana).
HobbiesA Brief Overview of my Hobbies and Interests:
Swing Dancing: The queen of swing-out! Or at least, that's what the cartoon artist drew on my picture during Lindy Bout IX. I've been dancing for just over a year and I love it. There is no better social event and it's great exercise. If you want to learn to dance I'll add it as a bonus to our tutoring sessions.
Mental Health and Addictions: This is my current field of study and I love it. I am very passionate about helping people to help themselves, promotion self-reliance, dignity, and healthy living.
Workshops and Presentations: As a volunteer I have presented workshops and presentations on numerous topics for church's and non-profit organizations. These include, but are not limited to: Family History, Boundaries and Life Skills
Long-Distance Running: I am currently just doing some base training. I ran my first full marathon in October 2014 at St. George, Utah in 4:27:52.
Avid Reader: A little fantasy by Brandon Sanderson, some science fiction by Orson Scott Card, the biography of Martha Black or maybe the DM manuals to Dungeons and Dragons. Currently I'm re-reading Harry Potter and catching up on my Marvel Comics.
Client Reviews (4)
Aryana has been incredibly helpful, especially since it has been 10+ years since I last did any math. I have found her patient and well versed in all the topics we have to cover. She has made me much, much more confident in my abilities and comfortable with my work. I need a C to fulfill a prerequisite but with Aryana's help by my midterm I was sitting at 94%.
Aryana worked very hard to assist me in achieving my goals. She was super flexible with my schedule, was very prepared for our sessions and had excellent subject knowledge. She was a real pleasure to work with.
Aryana tutored my daughter last summer in preparation for a university level Statistics course - she is very thorough and effective. The sessions resulted in considerable increased confidence during the course. I highly recommend Aryana.
Aryana was a wonderful tutor who helped me through my second time on a required university statistics course that terrified me. She has an awesome personality, is so welcoming, wonderful at explaining things, and has the patience of saint! My mark was above and beyond what I ever expected to receive in this course, and I owe it all to her. I would highly reccomend her to anyone looking for extra help!
Inquire about this tutor
The tutor will respond if they are available/interested.